Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Etsy

I had made a few purchases from Etsy before (a nativity set last Christmas...I had searched EVERYWHERE for the perfect one before finding it there, etc.) but a couple months into my own wedding planning purchase it became one of the "first places to look" for certain items. Personally, I am all about uniqueness and originality. I love when things have character and a history and their own personality. I also love to support fair trade and individual artistry as opposed to the typical made-in-China, probably in sweat shops, maybe produced-by-forced-labor products...you catch my drift. So for these reasons, I for one am willing to pay a little more $$$ for an ethical purchase WITH the added bonus of "no one else having one like it." :)

If you're new to Etsy...check out their About page. Here's an excerpt:

Etsy is the world’s handmade marketplace.

Our mission is to empower people to change the way the global economy works. We see a world in which very-very small businesses have much-much more sway in shaping the economy, local living economies are thriving everywhere, and people value authorship and provenance as much as price and convenience. We are bringing heart to commerce and making the world more fair, more sustainable, and more fun.


So when I was looking for a special garter, gifts for my bridesmaids (more on this to come in a post-wedding entry), an alternative guestbook...Etsy was my "retailer" of choice. And please note--wedding-related items are only a tiny FRACTION of what Etsy's artists have to offer! When you're looking for gifts for those already-have-everything people, or you've got something specific in mind that you just can't quite find anywhere else...let me tell you. This is your place. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Leave your questions or comments here.